Tuesday, 19 July 2011

16 Weeks

MUMMY

By now, I am at the stage where I am allegedly supposed to be feeling and looking wonderful. Blooming I believe they call it. I can assure you, I neither feel or look blooming at the moment but I think it is all the other things we have had going on that have got in the way of us being able to sit back and enjoy me getting fatter!

The time is actually flying by. The first trimester seemed to take forever and I thought literally about nothing else every moment of the day. At the moment, we've been so busy with the house move and other essential tasks, added to which, my symptoms have virtually gone (apart from needing to eat naughty things all the time), that it has been easy to forget we're having a baby!

I'm still not convinced the reality has set in yet as I'm sort of not allowing myself to believe it until much nearer the time just in case something goes wrong.  Not that I think it will, and I'm not overly worried about something going wrong, I'm just making sure I am prepared.

Strangely also, my tummy popped out at about week 14 and yet in the last 2½ weeks, it doesn't appear to have grown at all.  My mum tells me it is because my 6 pack is holding the bump in and that at some point it will pop again.  I am looking forward to that as I still don't look particularly pregnant except to people who know me well and I am still unable to get people to give up seats for me on the tube.

We achieved a lot this last week in the house given how little time we have during the week with our respective commutes but it is looking a lot better than a weekend ago and the only room that is still a total disaster is the lounge which is basically just filled with stuff that we don't really have room for or things for the tip or things to sell. We'll get there soon, then we can start on the essential maintenance and jobs we need to do before Shrimpy arrives. No. 1 on the list has become the kitchen. I didn't think we needed to do this before Shrimpy arrived but we have completely run out of storage space and don't have anywhere near enough. And that's without Shrimpy's bits and bobs.

This weekend we were supposed to go to the Leeds Castle open air classical concert but a combination of the weather being really bad and us having so much to do in the house meant that we decided to give it a miss.  It was a shame to waste the tickets but I don't think I would have been able to enjoy it when we had so much to do around the house. The following day we had a trip to IKEA, which is probably about my least favourite thing in the world to do. It was as much fun as it normally is but at least we finally got an item close to the one we went there for. They really are a shambles! Still, they are cheap and that's why everyone goes there. The most pleasurable thing I experienced at IKEA was a 50p hot dog so I think that tells you how much I enjoyed the rest of it. I am surprised there are any couples still together in the world with the existence of IKEA!

Before heading to IKEA, we drove in to London to briefly see a good friend of mine whose wife had a baby a couple of weeks ago. It was a very traumatic birth by the sounds of it and I didn't want to hear all the details but Mum and baby are now over the worst and the little one was very sweet. It is strange to think that that will be me in about 6 months but nice strange.

I am still counting down the days to when I will be able to leave my job. Things seem to get worse daily at work and the place really brings out the worst in me. I think there are about 5 months or so to go still. Roll on Christmas! I am missing Ron lots at work but we are still commuting in together which is good so at least I only have fat and smelly people sitting next to me on the way home from work.

Maternity trousers continue to be the bane of my life and I am still livid that most shops only have maternity ranges online - even places like Mothercare would you believe!  I am yet to find a pair that don't feel so uncomfortable with how low-cut they are and it will be a while before the over-the-bump ones are appropriate for me. I'm slightly tempted to try to make my own actually.

As I mentioned previously, we decided to book a private scan for the unveiling of Shrimpy's gender so we have that appointment this Saturday. I am very nervous about it. A lot of people won't understand how I feel so it was nice to talk to my friend, Chris, on Sunday who had a preference for one sex over the other and he was saying that regardless of whether it is the one you were hoping for, it still comes as quite a shock and takes a few days to get used to / get over! This is what I was expecting really anyway and I am definitely very nervous about it. It's almost like, whilst I still don't know, Shrimpy is still a lady in my head. It will be quite a shock if she is a gentleman but really, I just want to know as I want to be able to picture her (or him) in little outfits and think about names and nursery layouts properly. All will be revealed by the next time we write, how very exciting!

Current Symptoms:
  • Increased need to go to the toilet through the night again. Generally waking up at about 3am and 5am at the moment
  • A little pot belly but no bigger than last week
  • Bigger boobs than before being pregnant but again, no bigger than last week
  • General going to the toilet discomfort of all forms really!

DADDY

The last week was incredibly busy once again; our first week in the house so all to be expected I suppose. I've managed to do some manly type fixing things up work so that's satisfying my nesting requirements - not that men are supposed to get those I guess. Generally though, things are progressing along well and we had a short visit with some friends on Sunday. It seemed everywhere you looked there was a pregnant woman or a child or a baby or something progeny related, which was odd to say the least. Kind of like being in some sort of weird sci-fi show or something. It was a really nice time though with all the little ones being very well behaved (which makes a big difference).

I'm settling into the new job and really enjoying doing something useful for a change. People actually seem to understand things and are interested in delivery rather than BSing and politicking all day. It's always nice to work with smart people. The commute is terrible - an extra hour each way - but in the long run I should be able to work from home more often than not and that's the ultimate goal anyway.

Other than that, the gender scan is the real baby related landmark for this week. I can tell that Natalie is apprehensive about it but I'm sure that - either way - she'll eventually be fine. I personally don't have a preference but it will be nice to know ...

BUMP

I am currently about the size of an onion! I hope I don't smell like one. My joints are all fully developed and I exercise these lots daily by moving around and continuing to search my fish bowl - I think I know every nook and cranny now (there isn't much to see really). My skin, which looks very thin and transparent, seems to be starting to thicken now and I am growing a layer of brown fat too. I am not sure if this just happens naturally to new babies like me or whether it is because Mummy keeps eating donuts and hot dogs from IKEA of all places but none the less, I am getting a little porkier. My eyelids remain sealed but my sight is developing behind them anyway and I regularly move them from side to side.

Exciting times, in just a few days Mummy will find out if I am a little lady or a little gentleman! Obviously I already know what I am but I haven't wanted to spoil the surprise for Mummy. Ooh, do I have a willy or not? All will be revealed!


No comments:

Post a Comment