Sunday, 25 September 2011

26 Weeks

MUMMY

Well, I guess the real lowlight of the week was bending over and sticking my @rse in a doctor's face. How very undignified and most unenjoyable but the blump (bum lump) was very painful and I just wanted to get it checked out. It was nothing serious and it is finally now starting to shrink on its own but I can't wait until it has gone, it has led to a most uncomfortable week with standing and sitting being so painful.

Fortunately though, there were lots of highlights in the week also, mostly towards the end, that made up for the bending over incident and as an extra plus, I finally managed to get eBay to remove the negative feedback left by the evil man a few weeks ago. This had been such a battle that it had become more about principal than anything else. After 5 raised tickets, I am now back to 100%, my favourite score. Never again.

Before I get to the highlights, Ron and I were pretty tired after the weekend away and I think it took us both a few days to recover. Poor Ron ended up with a really nasty cold near the beginning of the week and had to take a day off work sick - something a contractor doesn't do unless they are really poorly - and I felt ever so sorry for him. He has been working so hard and the commute is really long for him. I feared it would catch up with him eventually. I hope he slows down and gets some rest and time for himself before Shrimpy arrives. I felt pretty cr@p too so had to work from home a couple of days this week (my work don't really like that but it was either do that or be off sick so they got the best of the two options out of me) and whilst we both felt really rubbish, it was nice to be at home a bit more and not be spending so much time on the train. It meant we could do some more home cooking this week, which we haven't been able to do as much as usual for a while so it was nice to eat freshly baked food for most of the week. It was also really nice to spend more time together. Weekdays normally just involve working, commuting, eating, bed and that's pretty much all there is time for so there are some silver linings to being poorly.

Other than being a little poorly, nothing else of interest really happened in the week but it did end with a very pleasant weekend and so on to the highlights.

My friends came over for lunch on Saturday with their 4 month old son and it was lovely to see them again. I've known my friend, Kirstin, for many, many years and we have been through so many experiences together. I was thinking back to the early days and how much has happened since then and how nice it is that we find ourselves in such a similar position now. It dawned on me yesterday, as she mentioned she would be on maternity leave until May, that we will have 5 glorious months to be ladies what lunch together and this made me even more excited about being off work and going off on adventures. Kirstin and I have been on so many adventures and now we get to go write The Adventures of Woody, Kirstin, Elliot and Shrimpy! How very exciting. Here's us on one of our previous adventures (aided by inflatables):

Boobtastic

Anyway, with knowing someone for so long, you get very familiar with how they do things and one of the things I like about seeing Kirstin at the moment is that she does being a Mummy pretty much how I intend to so she has become a great source of information and advice to me. She doesn't force advice and tips on me when I haven't asked for it and probably don't want it like so many other people seem to but answers my questions with short, to the point and honest answers - my kind of lady - although I was slightly disturbed to learn the size of the nappies that I will have to wear for a couple of weeks after giving birth. Jeez, my other mates never mentioned anything about that - horrifying!

Then, today, we had a lovely day consisting of a trip to Mamas & Papas and a drive down to Broadstairs for ice cream and a walk along the sea front.

We went to M & P to choose the 'Travel System' my parents had very kindly offered to pay for and I decided I was fed up with having second hand maternity clothes and cr@p from eBay that didn't fit and wanted to get a good selection of everything I think I will need to see me through to the end. It wasn't cheap but I should have done it a while ago and that advice I would pass on to any other expectant mothers. It's obviously a lot cheaper to borrow things from friends, buy bundles etc. from eBay or cope with non-maternity stretchy things in your wardrobe but for me, it has been such a false economy. I haven't felt comfortable in any of it and I finally now have some things to wear that I actually think I look nice in, rather than things that just about fit and cover the bump. You tend to feel fairly unattractive whilst being pregnant anyway (well, I do) so every little helps.

Whilst at the shops, we also bought Shrimpy's first clothes and it made me more excited than ever to meet him and see him in his cute little sleep-suits and hats! I had wanted to hold off on buying anything for him until much nearer the time but I could resist no longer and I am glad we got some bits and bobs as it made it easier to actually picture how he will look and imagine being a Mummy - which sometimes feels very hard to imagine.

It was a beautiful day and Broadstairs was fabulous. I was reminded again what a great place we live in that we can get to all these beautiful seaside locations so quickly. The ice cream parlour was brilliant and honestly can't have changed since the '50s. I ate for far more than two for a change and had a giant sundae. Oops! It was very nice though and full of goodness for the little Shrimp.

Nom

Generally, the pregnancy appears to be continuing to bumble along fairly nicely. It was a bit of a weird week as after suddenly popping out about two weeks ago, I feel like my tummy hasn't grown at all since then and I was slightly concerned (although not really as I could still feel the Shrimpy one move so I knew he was alive and kicking which was the main thing). I know I'll be moaning that my tummy is way too big soon (which is cool, as I like having things to moan about) but I hope it grows just a teensy but more in the next week. Apparently, the little man is about to have another growth spurt so I guess maybe it does just come in waves rather than gradually grow at an even pace. What do I know, I'm a novice at this.

There have been no other significant changes from last week but I continue to find it harder and harder to stay on my feet for too long which is generally easy enough to cope with except for on the stinky London tubes where London commuters, who are spawned from the devil, continue to hide their faces deeper in to their copies of the Metro when they spy my badge or round belly. It's really disappointing and commuting in rush hour is getting harder by the day. I just hope my work will consider letting me work from home a bit more regularly as I get bigger as I can't even imagine what it will be like when I'm in that final month and squashed in to a corner on a hot, sweaty, smelly, packed tube. Urgh.

So, another week passes and I am just about to enter the third trimester - scary veg!

Current Symptoms:
  • Toilet stops through the night
  • Bleeding gums / nosebleeds (only when blowing, mind)
  • Shortness of breath
  • Varicose veins :o(
  • Swollen ankles
  • Lumpy bum!
  • Severe night-time leg cramps
  • No contact lens wearing and eyes still sore

DADDY

I'll have a fairly short entry this week since it's fairly late on Sunday and this week has been fairly slow for me. I've had a cold that started on Monday So I've been doing very little and even had a day off work (people who know me will be shocked as I never take days off). I even missed out on swimming so quite dramatic really. I did feel better on Saturday though and went to see the "Rocky Horror Picture Show - singalong" with my middle daughter up in Hornchurch and that was quite a laugh; many very strange people.

We did manage to go to look at pushchairs, as Natalie mentioned, and that was actually a lot of fun. It was a great opportunity to actually use my experience in this sort of thing. It was quite funny really having a young girl - who obviously doesn't have any children - recommending and demonstrating these things. The one thing she never showed was folding and unfolding, which is obviously something that you need to do all the time - and usually under great stress! Anyway, we choose a very nice set and coincidentally a great colour scheme and design.

It's not time to get such a thing yet, but I've been considering high-chairs and had a chance to check out my favourite in real life at the shop. I'm really into design and simple solutions to complicated problems really make me smile. So the Stokke Trip Trapp http://www.stokke.com/en-gb/highchair/tripp-trapp-product-concept.aspx is like the perfect thing. It's amazing how every high-chair is designed to keep the baby separated from everyone and very much on their own where the Tripp is designed to have baby comfortably at the table with everyone else more or less from birth. The fact that the chair adjusts right the way up to adulthood is even more of a bonus. Although it seems an expensive proposition, compared with the cost and longevity of traditional high-chairs, I think it's a real bargain.

I still have more investigation to do so I'll have more details next week ...

BUMP

I am a whopping 35 cm or so tall now and am very much finding my routine cycle of sleep and kicking Mummy (this is pretty much what I do in here - and you thought your life was boring - walk a mile in my shoes - I don't even have shoes!). I will continue to grow by about 1 cm each week until the big pop, although apparently over the next three weeks, I will be going through a significant growth spurt. I'm looking forward to this in some ways as it's one step closer to becoming a big guy but I'm also dreading not being able to stretch out quite so much - the glass is never quite full is it!

Despite it being pitch black in here, I've been practising blinking. I like blinking. Mostly at the moment, the main thing that is going on is my small, yet perfectly formed, brain is developing and turning me in to the little genius I know I will become. Daddy tells me that he believes he is the cleverest person in the whole of the world and has challenged me to try to take him on. I am not one to turn down a challenge and I can't wait to beat Daddy at things. I think by the age of about 5 he'll be eating his words and my dust!

I gather Mummy bought me some stupid hat with fluffy ears today! Honestly, if babies could talk, we wouldn't have to wear half the stupid things our parents make us wear. I'll smile sweetly whilst wearing it of course but it will be good when I can talk and tell Mummy and Daddy that a hat with no ears would also be very pleasant, thank you.

Anyway, I'm off, I feel a snooze coming on. Chat next week ...


No comments:

Post a Comment