Sunday, 13 November 2011

33 Weeks

MUMMY

It's been another weird week really. I guess a good one on the whole but I'm really quite uncomfortable now all the time so I'm kind of ready for the little man to pop out which is a little concerning there being over 6 weeks still to go!

Work was so much better this week as I was only in the office Monday and Friday. This made a huge difference as it is getting harder and harder commuting in by the day and even just going in for two days was exhausting. I think my colleagues are genuinely getting a little worried about me leaving as my supreme testing skills will depart with me. I've spent the second half of the week handing over to my replacement, sorry, cover, who seems like a nice guy, but I think he is finding it all incredibly overwhelming and I have barely even touched the surface of what he is going to need to know. I don't mean to be pessimistic but I think the poor lad will struggle a little to work anything close to the same pace as I did and was getting stressed with the number of emails he was getting already and he was only really getting the company wide ones! Still, I'll do what I can to help him. I'm not completely mean.

Friday at work was particularly weird. I actually had quite a good day! Everyone was being nice to me, not too annoying and one lady even said she'd missed me (I had only been out of the office for three days). Then I had my end of year review with my manager who basically said all good things, well 99% good things. Of course, my brain being the way it is, I didn't really hear all the good stuff (I was like, yeah, yeah, whatever) and focused on the 1% bad (which made me a teensy bit angry) but it looks like my very overdue promotion could finally be on so I guess we'll see what happens when I'm not there to keep pestering them about it. Ultimately, it will have a huge influence on whether I decide to go back there so we'll see what happens.

We went to another NCT session in the week which I really enjoyed and I am very sad to say that that was the last session we can make. There are two next week while we are away and I'm a little gutted to be missing them as I was only just starting to get to know some of the ladies. I really hope we can continue to get to know each other outside the classes though as some of them definitely seem like my kind of people and it's a very useful thing to have people around you that are going through exactly the same thing as you at the same time. The classes have been great actually and I highly recommend doing them. It seems expensive (I think it was £168 for 6 session) when you book but from a social and emotional point of view, it has been really worth it, despite only making it to half of the sessions. The information has been useful too but meeting people in the same happy predicament has been the really important thing for me.

Some of the handouts are quite amusing. There was one in the pack about the various recommended positions for labour. They are all so terribly undignified, like this one below.

Hey, where's her face gone?
So, I'm really looking forward to having someone's face in my @rse. Nice!

I don't feel like I have much else to report this week. It's been all about work really for me and getting ready to leave. It's strange, I am desperate to finish work and I think it's clear I'm not the biggest fan of my current work place or colleagues and I'm always very quick to say I won't miss it one bit but as it is coming to a close, I've started thinking I probably will miss it a little. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely won't miss my work colleagues or department but I will miss just generally working and feeling like I am doing a good job. I was thinking the other day that this will actually be the first time I haven't had a job since I was about 14 years old and that is going to be a very strange feeling. Some people would be very happy to never work in their whole lives but I actually like working. I like using my brain, I like trying to teach other people to use theirs, I like the self-confidence it gives me and I like being able to support myself so I don't feel at all comfortable about someone else supporting me as I'm normally a very self-reliant person. I like having something to moan about too! So, I know I will be going back to work (whether it be to that same job or not is a different question) but that doesn't mean I am not going to enjoy a year of not working.

Again, as I've said before, I'm not suggesting for a second that bringing up a child isn't hard work, I know it will be really tough but it will be tough in a very different way and seeing as most of what I find so frustrating about my current job is working with stupid people, I don't think I'll be anywhere near as frustrated as I'm not expecting Shrimpy to be a genius instantly - that's going to take at least 6 months I reckon.

Symptom-wise, it's very much more of the same really. The sciatica has increased and sometimes it can be quite debilitating. I'll just be walking along and then get this shooting pain that completely stops me in my tracks. It really has become hard to walk for more than a few minutes without being in quite a bit of pain now. The lack of space inside is getting worse too. I continue to be really out of breath all the time and now eating anything more than a small snack makes me feel grossly full and a little faint. It's almost put me off eating all together but I still find room for the odd cream cake here and there. I'm enjoying having Shrimpy inside my tummy on the whole but I won't deny I'm looking forward to having my body back as well and I'm a little worried about how just bad the discomfort is going to get as I know I am going to get much bigger in the next few weeks.  I took a picture of my bump for my friend today and it's still really not that big in comparison to most people at the same stage even though I feel enormous already.

Wow, it looks a bit like I've lit my own fart. I actually haven't!
As I think I mentioned, I only have two more weeks left before I finish work. The really great thing is that for one of them - next week - I'm going on a much needed holiday with Ron. We're off to Gran Canaria in the morning. It's actually our first proper holiday together would you believe. We've had a few long weekends away but we've never been away for a week together so this is our first and last holiday as a couple rather than as a family. This week is very special to me and I am determined to make the most of every minute away with my special boy as it's going to be a while before we can do something like this again. I can't tell you what a relief it is to be having a week off and best of all, a week with no plans other than relaxing by the pool and taking each day as it comes really. I think we both really need it before the chaos of Shrimpy arriving.

One final thought for this week. I was talking to an old school friend today and she was saying she couldn't believe I was going to have a baby in just a few weeks and I was like, mate, me neither! It occurred to me that the whole thing still feels incredibly surreal. I'm totally used to the being pregnant thing now and can barely remember a time when my body wasn't this shape but the actually having a baby and being a Mummy, well, I just can't imagine it at the moment. I'm sure it is the same for every new parent but until I see the little fella in my arms, I don't think I will quite believe he is real!

I still can't wait to meet you little one, so hurry up the next few weeks!

Current Symptoms:
  • Sciatica
  • Tiny bladder
  • Heartburn
  • Swollen everything
  • Bleeding gums
  • Shortness of breath
  • No contact lens wearing

DADDY

Daddy as ever has had very little free time but he'll try to write a little something while we're away.

BUMP

I'm almost 44 cm tall if I I was to stand up straight and look a little like a honeydew melon all scrunched up.

I've started having dreams this week, at least, I think that's what they are. Only last night, I dreamt I was being chased by a giant gun-wielding ice cream cone and managed to escape by jumping in to an enormous bowl of caramel sauce! Weird, huh. It woke me up with a bit of a startle. I kicked Mummy of course to let her know. Phew, I was glad to wake up!

I'd just like to share with you all my relief as well that during the week it seems as if that idiot Frankie Cocozza got thrown off the show that Mummy likes with all the singing so I didn't have to endure the same horrible sound again this week of him allegedly singing. So that was nice.

I think I'm still head down. It's so hard to tell but there's very little room left in here so I've made what I think is' the turn' and I guess me and Mummy will find out in a few weeks whether I've managed to get this little manoeuvre right! This is harder than parallel parking for women, I'm telling you!

Anyway, I'm getting yet another stamp on my passport next week as it sounds as if I'm off on a plane abroad again. Hopefully Mummy will eat some nutritious food for a change while she's there as I'm finding all these carbs a little bloating. I swear, when I get out of here, I'm going on a milk-only diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment